Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Day Job

“I'm taking what they giving 'cause I'm working for a livin'.” – Huey Lewis and The News


Probably the biggest reason we are in the U.A.E is because of my employment.  The move was a good opportunity to stretch myself and try new things.  I am excited for the new possibilities to increase my educational experiences, and develop additional professional skills.

Many of you may be interested to know a few more details about my employment.  Alas, you will have to be satisfied with some minor details and not many specifics.  For several reasons, this blog will not share a lot of information about my employer and specifics from work.  (mostly I just wanted to use the word ‘alas’ in a blog post ;)  I will try and share some general information and I’m sure there will be some non-work related anecdotes that include information about work.  If you are interested or have questions about my work, please feel free to email me and I can share more privately.

For now, I’ll just say that I work as a teacher for an institution of higher education that is indirectly operated by the government of the U.A.E.  I work at a campus that is part of a nation-wide system of campuses covering the entire country. I teach Muslim Women who are getting their degree in Educational Technology.

This last weekend, the institution I work for had a system-wide educational conference.  It was an opportunity for them to share new ideas, demonstrate educational strategies for the new school year, and showcase some of the success they have achieved.  As part of the event, all of the new employees had an opportunity to meet the U.A.E. Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research, His Highness Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan.  Cool….

Check out the photos below:

 

Meeting His Highness the Sheikh

 DSC_0340

Some of the colleagues from workP1010300

3 comments:

  1. A long way from the casual attire of Hawaii! You clean up pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say you're looking pretty professional! Brad's been shopping too to up his appearance. Not quite as formal as you but a step up from where he was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that photo of you meeting His Highness the Sheikh! Interesting stuff...

    ReplyDelete