Monday, June 18, 2012

Inspiring or CRAZY?

"Time to move on, time to get going
What lies ahead, I have no way of knowing
But under my feet, baby, grass is growing
It's time to move on, it's time to get going" - Tom Petty


I think it is interesting to try and interpret the responses of people we know when we tell them that we moved our family of young children from the US to the Middle East.  It is also fun to gauge their reaction when we share that Yvonne had reconstructive surgery on her achilles tendon, a pregnancy and a new baby all on the other side of the world.

Many say they think it sounds adventurous, but you can almost hear the muttering under their breath as they walk away.... "those guys are nuts!"  Others sincerely do seem partially envious, or at least respectfully fascinated by our experience.  In reality, I don't really know if we know what we think about the last two years.  It is fun trying to figure it out.

That being said, you gotta respect this family.  They sold everything and are now driving cross-country with their FIVE kids from Alaska to Argentina.


Is that inspiring, or are they just crazy?


2 comments:

  1. I say inspiring for sure, crazy....maybe. One thing that has surprised me the most about living outside of the U.S. is how completely happy folks are despite being impoverished by American standards. People who outwardly appear to have nothing are entirely content and even excited about life because they have their health and their families. I get on the 'ol FB now and chuckle at the silly things everyone gets so worked up over (myself included).

    I always like the reaction you get when you tell an American you live in Grenada or Dubai or Brazil or whatever and they assume you live in grass huts and have no running water :) I think in the states I definitely grew up thinking the U.S. was the only developed nation.

    Inspiring post Mr. Anderson. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be fun... without the 5 kids. I should have done something like this before I got married... or maybe pregnant :)

    ReplyDelete